ESTJ (extroverted sensing thinking judging) is one of the sixteen personality types of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) test. ESTJs make up about seven percent of the population.
ESTJs are confident, decisive, and well-organized. They take command of any situation naturally and gravitate toward positions of authority.
ESTJs also like tradition and orderliness. As far as they are concerned, there is a right way and a wrong way to do things, and people who are doing it the wrong way need to be corrected.
More free-spirited and creative personalities may find ESTJs bossy, closed-minded, or even bullying. But ESTJs can also bring clarity and direction to confused situations, and help others focus on what needs to be done to achieve solutions.
Here are 75+ famous people who fit the ESTJ types.
POLITICIANS & WORLD LEADERS
Since ESTJs like to be in charge, politics can be a natural outlet for them.
- James Monroe, U.S. President. source
- Andrew Jackson, U.S. President. source
- Benjamin Harrison, U.S. President. source
- Franklin Pierce, U.S. President. source
- Grover Cleveland, U.S. President. source
- Lyndon B. Johnson, U.S. President. source
- Michelle Obama, U.S. First Lady. source
- Sandra Day O’Connor, U.S. Supreme Court Justice. source
- Sonia Sotomayor, U.S. Supreme Court Justice. source
- Rose Kennedy, U.S. matriarch of the Kennedy family. source
- Douglas MacArthur, U.S. general. source
- Bernard Law Montgomery, British general. source
- Saddam Hussein, Iraqi dictator. source
- Augusto Pinochet, Chilean dictator. source
- Carrie Nation, U.S. temperance activist. source
- Eliot Ness, U.S. law enforcement agent. source
ESTJs are also comfortable in the structured organization of a corporation, and make excellent CEOs.
- Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft. source
- Alan Sugar, English entrepreneur. source
- Ivanka Trump, U.S. fashion designer. source
ESTJs tend to be outspoken about their opinions, so they’re more likely to be political pundits rather than traditional journalists.
- Megyn Kelly, U.S. news anchor. source
- Bill O’Reilly, U.S. television host. source
- Alan Dershowitz, U.S. lawyer and pundit. source
- Nancy Grace, U.S. television host. source
- Mike Wallace, U.S. interviewer. source
- Laura Schlessinger, U.S. radio host and pundit. source
ESTJs are often also a good fit in an organized religious structure.
- Paul the Apostle, apostle of Christianity. source
- Billy Graham, U.S. evangelical minister. source
- Jerry Falwell, U.S. evangelical minister. source
ACTORS & ENTERTAINERS
ESTJs might not seem natural actors, but their organization and decisiveness can be useful in any career.
- Daisy Ridley, English actress. source
- Uma Thurman, U.S. actress. source
- Jackie Gleason, U.S. actor. source
- Raymond Burr, U.S. actor. source
- Alec Baldwin, U.S. actor. source
- Laura Linney, U.S. actress. source
- Lucy Liu, U.S. actress. source
- Drew Carey, U.S. actor and game show host. source
- Joan Rivers, U.S. comedian and talk show host. source
- John de Lancie, U.S. actor. source
- Courteney Cox, U.S. actress. source
- Jeri Ryan, U.S. actress. source
- Mickey Rourke, U.S. boxer and actor. source
- Bette Davis, U.S. actress. source
- Roger Ebert, U.S. movie reviewer. source
- Dr. Phil McGraw, U.S. television psychologist. source
- Vinnie Jones, English footballer and actor. source
- Jenny McCarthy, U.S. actress and activist. source
- Kelsey Grammer, U.S. actor. source
- Judith “Judge Judy” Sheindlin, U.S. television judge. source
- Marla Maples, U.S. actress. source
In the music business, ESTJs are more often found on the business side than the creative side.
As organized thinkers, ESTJs are naturals at the discipline necessary to write regularly.
- Tom Clancy, U.S. author. source
- Ann Coulter, U.S. author and pundit. source
- Amy Chua, U.S. “tiger mother” and author. source
- E. L. James, U.S. author. source
ESTJs are not always great team players, but they can be excellent coaches.
- Nolan Ryan, U.S. pitcher. source
- Josh Beckett, U.S. pitcher. source
- Pat Summitt, U.S. basketball coach. source
- John Smoltz, U.S. pitcher. source
And here are some people from the worlds of fiction who qualify as ESTJs!
- Donna Noble from Doctor Who. source
- The Dowager Countess from Downton Abbey. source
- Mrs. Patmore from Downton Abbey. source
- Simba from The Lion King. source
- Robb Stark from Game of Thrones. source
- Cersei Lannister from Game of Thrones. source
- Dwight Schrute from The Office. source
- Minerva McGonagall from the Harry Potter books. source
- Effie from The Hunger Games. source
- Admiral Bill Adama from Battlestar Galactica. source
- Boromir from The Lord of the Rings. source
- Bryan Mills from the Taken movies. source
- Statler and Waldofr from The Muppets. source
- Claire Dealing from Jurassic World. source
- Darth Vader from Star Wars. source
- Carl Grimes from The Walking Dead. source
- Georg von Trapp from The Sound of Music. source