ESTP (extroverted sensing thinking perceiving) is one of the sixteen personality types defined by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) test. ESTPs make up about 4% of the population, and are more likely to be men than women.
ESTPs are defined by action. They are quick, restless thinkers and poor planners. They’d rather just jump into a situation with both feet, and if things go wrong, they can always adjust on the fly.
ESTPs are adaptable and clever, able to roll with changes where more structured and intellectual personalities would be paralyzed. They take nothing seriously, least of all themselves.
Other personalities can find ESTPs exhausting to keep up with, and it’s true they can leave a trail of wreckage in their wake as they bull ahead. But there’s rarely any malice in them, and they’re always fun to be with.
Here are some celebrities who fit the ESTP type.
ACTORS & ENTERTAINERS
ESTPs are confident, sociable, and take criticism easily, all important qualities for actors.
- Kevin Spacey, U.S. actor. source
- Jack Nicholson, U.S. actor. source
- Meryl Streep, U.S. actress. source
- Ben Affleck, U.S. actor. source
- Helen Mirren, English actress. source
- Tommy Lee Jones, U.S. actor. source
- Eddie Murphy, U.S. comedian and actor. source
- John Wayne, U.S. actor. source
- David Tennant, Scottish actor. source
- Michael J. Fox, U.S. actor. source
- Samuel L. Jackson, U.S. actor. source
- Judi Dench, English actress. source
- Alfred Hitchcock, English director. source
- Harry Houdini, U.S. magician, escapologist, and psychic investigator. source
- Sylvester Stallone, U.S. actor. source
- Lucille Ball, U.S. actress. source
- Mila Kunis, U.S. actress. source
- Ryan Seacrest, U.S. television host. source
- Antonio Banderas, Spanish actor. source
- Mae West, U.S. actress. source
- Jeremy Clarkson, English television host. source
- Milla Jovovich, U.S. actress. source
- Cybill Shepherd, U.S. actress. source
- Joan Cusack, U.S. actress. source
- Sasha Grey, U.S. adult performer. source
- Traci Lords, U.S. adult performer. source
POLITICIANS & WORLD LEADERS
ESTPs tend to chafe at the structure and slow pace of politics, but some still rise to prominence.
- James Buchanan, U.S. President. source
- George W. Bush, U.S. President. source
- Winston Churchill, UK prime minister. source
- David Cameron, UK prime minister. source
- Nicholas Sarkozy, French president. source
- George S. Patton, U.S. general. source
- Donald Trump, U.S. president and businessman. source
- Malcolm X, U.S. political activist. source
- Eva Peron, Argentine First Lady. source
- Camilla Parker Bowles, English wife of Prince Charles. source
ESTPs’ ability to think on their feet makes them great tacticians, ideal for positions such as quarterback and point guard.
- Johnny Unitas, U.S. quarterback. source
- John Elway, U.S. quarterback. source
- Babe Didrikson Zaharias, U.S. multi-sport athlete. source
- Mike Tyson, U.S. boxer. source
- Steve Nash, U.S. point guard. source
- Joe Montana, U.S. quarterback. source
- Dan Marino, U.S. quarterback. source
WRITERS & PHILOSOPHERS
While ESTPs are not deep thinkers, they have a great passion for life that is often reflected in their work.
- Simon Peter, apostle of Jesus. source
- L. Ron Hubbard, U.S. author and religious leader. source
- Glenn Beck, U.S. author and television host. source
- Donatien Alphonse Francois, Marquis de Sade, French aristocrat and writer. source
- Dale Carnegie, U.S. author. source
- Anna Wintour, British fashion editor. source
- Epicurus, Greek philosopher. source
- James “The Amazing” Randi, U.S. skeptic, magician, and author. source
Some ESTPs let their restless nature lead them to criminal ends!
- Al Capone, U.S. gangster. source
ESTPs’ unending energy comes through loud and clear in their music.
- Kenny Rogers, U.S. country singer and producer. source
- Axl Rose, U.S. singer. source
- Dave Mustaine, U.S. guitarist and singer. source
- Amy Winehouse, English singer. source
- Vince Neil, U.S. singer. source
- Vanilla Ice, U.S. rapper and carpenter. source
- Grace Slick, U.S. singer. source
- Travis Tritt, U.S. singer. source
Finally, here are some people from movies, TV, and books who match the ESTP type.
- Aladdin from Disney’s Aladdin. source
- Mr. Satan from Dragonball Z. source
- Peter Pan from Disney’s Peter Pan. source
- Han Solo from Star Wars. source
- Wade Wilson from Deadpool. source
- Gonzo from The Muppets. source
- Jamie Fraser from Outlander. source
- Captain Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. source
- Gimli from The Lord of the Rings. source
- Captain James T. Kirk from Star Trek. source
- Caesar from The Hunger Games. source
- Rhett Butler from Gone with the Wind. source
- Scarlett O’Hara from Gone with the Wind. source
- Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter. source
- Rainbow Dash from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. source
- Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones. source
- Kara “Starbuck” Thrace from Battlestar Galactica. source
- Isobel Crawley from Downton Abbey. source
- Claire Redfield from the Resident Evil franchise. source
- River Song from Doctor Who. source
- Callie Torres from Grey’s Anatomy. source
- Drax from Guardians of the Galaxy. source
- Tom Sawyer source
- Daryl from The Walking Dead. source