ESFP (extroverted sensing feeling perceiving) is one of the sixteen personality types of the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI) test.
ESFPs operate from the principle that “all the world’s a stage” — and they want to be the stars.
They’re the class clowns, show-offs, and divas. Outgoing, energetic, and impulsive, they are natural performers and entertainers. But if ESPFs can’t grab attention by being funny or fascinating, they will settle for being annoying or outrageous.
If you know an ESFP, you may sometimes wish he or she had an off switch. ESFPs can also seem flighty and superficial to others, more concerned with appearances than facts and unwilling to take anything seriously.
POLITICIANS & WORLD LEADERS
Some ESFPs choose to take their natural charm into politics.
- William J. Clinton, U.S. President. source
- Ronald Reagan, U.S. President. source
- Dolley Madison, U.S. First Lady. source
- Benito Mussolini, Italian dictator. source
- Peter the Great, Russian czar. source
- Lord Horatio Nelson, English admiral. source
- Idi Amin, Ugandan dictator. source
ESFP performers are typically known for their flair and energy, as well as unconventional style.
- Katy Perry, U.S. singer. source
- Elvis Presley, U.S. musician. source
- James Brown, U.S. singer and producer. source
- Nicki Minaj, Trinidadian-American rapper. source
- Tommy Lee, U.S. drummer. source
- Ray Charles, U.S. pianist and singer. source
- Pink, U.S. singer. source
- Dolly Parton, U.S. singer. source
- Rick James, U.S. musician. source
- Adam Levine, U.S. singer. source
- Biggie Smalls (Notorious BIG), U.S. rapper. source
- Justin Bieber, Canadian singer. source
- Miley Cyrus, U.S. singer. source
- Little Richard, U.S. musician. source
- Macklemore, U.S. hip-hop artist. source
- Robin Thicke, Canadian singer. source
- Ringo Starr, English singer. source
- Paul McCartney, English singer. source
While ESFPs may not seem a natural fit for the corporate world, their charm and ability to grab attention can be assets, especially for entrepreneurs.
- Mark Cuban, U.S. entrepreneur and sports team owner. source
- Larry Ellison, U.S. founder of Oracle. source
- Richard Branson, English founder of Virgin. source
- Howard Schultz, U.S. founder of Starbucks. source
- Hugh Hefner, U.S. publisher of Playboy magazine. source
ACTORS & ENTERTAINERS
It’s not surprising that a lot of ESFPs end up on a stage or in front of a camera.
- Leonardo DiCaprio, U.S. actor. source
- Will Smith, U.S. actor. source
- Andy Samberg, U.S. comedian and actor. source
- John Goodman, U.S. actor. source
- Steve Irwin, Australian naturalist and television personality. source
- Chloe Grace Moretz, U.S. actress. source
- Cameron Diaz, U.S. actress. source
- Kathie Lee Gifford, U.S. television hostess. source
- Lindsay Lohan, U.S. actress. source
- Brittany Murphy, U.S. actress. source
- Willard Scott, U.S. television weatherman. source
- Judy Garland, U.S. singer and actor. source
- Jake Gyllenhaal, U.S. actor. source
- Jamie Oliver, English chef and television host. source
- Bob Hope, U.S. comedian and actor. source
- Zac Efron, U.S. actor. source
- Arsenio Hall, U.S. comedian and talk show host. source
ESFP athletes are the sorts who always put on a show, on and off the field. You don’t want to take your eyes off them because you might miss something spectacular.
- Earvin “Magic” Johnson, U.S. point guard. source
- Ken Griffey Jr., U.S. outfielder. source
- Metta World Peace, U.S. small forward. source
- Walter Payton, U.S. running back. source
- Dennis Rodman, U.S. power forward. source
- Serena Williams, U.S. tennis player. source
- Dana White, U.S. promoter of UFC. source
- Adrian Peterson, U.S. running back. source
- Kyle Petty, U.S. NASCAR driver. source
- Mary Lou Retton, U.S. gymnast. source
WRITERS & ARTISTS
ESFP artists are creative, witty, and always crowd-pleasers.
- Michelangelo Buonarroti, Italian artist and sculptor. source
- Tony Robbins, U.S. motivational speaker. source
- Deepak Chopra, Indian New Age guru. source
- Dr. Wayne Dyer, U.S. self-help author. source
Finally, here are some people from fictional universes who fit the ESFP type.
- Homer Simpson from The Simpsons. source
- Daisy Buchanan from The Great Gatsby. source
- Captain Jack Harkness from Doctor Who. source
- Rose from Downton Abbey. source
- Theon Greyjoy from Game of Thrones. source
- Michael Scott from The Office. source
- Fozzie Bear from The Muppets. source
- Anna from Frozen. source
- Penny from The Big Bang Theory. source
- Fred and George Weasley from Harry Potter. source
- Finnick from The Hunger Games. source
- Peregrin “Pippin” Took from The Lord of the Rings. source
- Wicket from Return of the Jedi. source
- Lydia Bennet from Pride and Prejudice. source
- Mr. Buu from Dragonball Z. source
- Carrie “Big Boo” Black from Orange Is the New Black. source