INFP (introverted intuitive feeling perceiving) is one of the sixteen personality types defined by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) test. INFPs are relatively uncommon, making up about 4% of the population.
INFPs are idealists. They see the world, and those around them, not as they are but as they could be. INFPs have strong principles, which they do not let go of easily. These principles drive them to help others better themselves, but as an introverted personality they rarely do so through direct confrontation. INFPs are more comfortable expressing themselves through art, writing, or other media, and can be surprisingly effective and creative communicators.
INFPs who do not find a way to express themselves can end up shy and withdrawn, unable to relate their inner principles to the real world. But for most INFPs, their principles are a source of strength and comfort against whatever the world might throw at them.
Here are some famous people who fit the INFP characteristics.
Writing is a frequent outlet for INFPs, and many of our greatest authors had this personality type.
- William Shakespeare, English playwright. source
- Edgar Allen Poe, U.S. author and poet. source
- Publius Virgilius Maro (Virgil), Roman poet. source
- Bill Watterson, U.S. cartoonist. source
- George Orwell, English author. source
- William Blake, English poet and engraver. source
- C. S. Lewis, English author. source
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery, French author and pilot. source
- Virginia Woolf, English author. source
- Hans Christian Andersen, Danish author. source
- A. A. Milne, English author. source
- John Milton, English poet. source
- Søren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher and poet. source
- J. R. R. Tolkien, English author. source
- Amy Tan, U.S. author. source
Other INFPs turn to art as a means to express their view of the world.
RELIGIOUS & INSPIRATIONAL FIGURES
INFPs are naturally giving and charitable, and sometimes become living examples for others.
- Mary, mother of Jesus. source
- Luke, disciple of Jesus. source
- John, disciple of Jesus. source
- Fred Rogers, U.S. minister and children’s television host. source
- Helen Keller, U.S. political activist and author. source
- Albert Schweitzer, French-German physician and theologian. source
INFP musicians are thoughtful and known for the depth of emotion in their work.
- Joni Mitchell, Canadian singer and artist. source
- Carlos Santana, Mexican-American guitarist. source
- Tori Amos, U.S. singer. source
- Bob Marley, Jamaican singer. source
- Thom Yorke, English singer. source
- Fiona Apple, U.S. singer. source
- John Mayer, U.S. singer. source
- Sarah MacLachlan, Canadian singer. source
- Lenny Kravitz, U.S. singer. source
- Ronnie James Dio, U.S. singer. source
- James Taylor, U.S. singer. source
- Chris Martin, British singer. source
- Robert Smith, English singer and guitarist. source
INFP athletes are often known just as much for the example they set off the field as their performance on it.
- Derek Jeter, U.S. first baseman. source
- Dirk Nowitzki, German power forward. source
- Roberto Clemente, Puerto Rican right fielder. source
- Mariano Rivera, Panamanian pitcher. source
- Julius Erving, U.S. small forward. source
ACTORS & ENTERTAINERS
INFP performers take a serious approach to their craft, and dive deeply into each performance.
- Hugh Laurie, English actor. source
- Marlon Brando, U.S. actor. source
- Johnny Depp, U.S. actor. source
- Tom Hiddleston, English actor. source
- Nicolas Cage, U.S. actor. source
- Jude Law, English actor. source
- Mia Farrow, U.S. actress and activist. source
- Emily Blunt, English actress. source
- Richard Gere, U.S. actor. source
- Louis C.K., U.S. comedian. source
- Chloe Sevigny, U.S. actress and designer. source
- Tim Burton, U.S. director. source
- Lisa Kudrow, U.S. actress. source
- David Lynch, U.S. director. source
- Gary Oldman, English actor. source
- Teller, U.S. magician. source
- Andrew Garfield, U.S. actor. source
- Fred Savage, U.S. actor. source
- Jennifer Jason Leigh, U.S. actress. source
Finally, here are some fictional people who fit the INFP type!
- Cosette from Les Miserables. source
- Gohan from Dragonball Z. source
- Charlie Brown from Peanuts. source
- Bella Swan from the Twilight series. source
- Tyreese from The Walking Dead. source
- Carl Fredricksen from Up. source
- Luke Skywalker from Star Wars. source
- Scout Finch, narrator of To Kill a Mockingbird. source
- Daria Morgendorffer from Daria. source
- Kermit the Frog from The Muppets. source
- Frodo Baggins from The Lord of the Rings. source
- Jane Eyre from the book of the same name. source
- Mags from The Hunger Games. source
- Romeo Montague and Juliet Capulet from Romeo and Juliet. source
- Luna Lovegood from Harry Potter. source
- Marshall from How I Met Your Mother. source
- Matthew Crawley from Downton Abbey. source
- Sweeney Todd from the play of the same name. source
- Idris from Doctor Who. source
- Daenerys Targaryen from Game of Thrones. source