INTP (introverted inntuitive thinking perceiving) is one of the sixteen personality types defined by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) test. INTPs are a relatively rare type, making up about 4% of the population.
INTPs are creatures of logic. Calm, controlled, and studious, INTPs are driven by the search for reason. For INTPs, the principles behind anything can be figured out given enough time. In fact, INTPs often get caught up on thinking for its own sake; the stereotypical figure of the “absent-minded scientist” is based on INTP behavior.
It can be an effort for INTPs to remain grounded and relate their thinking to the real world, and others can see them as distant and unemotional. But the pure rationality that an INTP brings is a powerful tool for unlocking problems when it’s applied properly.
Here are some famous people who fit the INTP personality type.
INTPs are naturally drawn to scientific fields, where their intellectual gifts are most useful.
- Albert Einstein, German physicist. source
- Charles Darwin, English naturalist. source
- Marie Curie, Polish physicist and chemist. source
- William Harvey, English physician. source
- William James, American psychologist. source
Other INTPs are drawn to philosophy, seeking broader universal principles.
- Immanuel Kant, German philosopher. source
- Hannah Arendt, German-American political theorist. source
- Adam Smith, English economist. source
- Herbert Spencer, English philosopher. source
- Friedrich Hayek, Austrian economist. source
- Blaise Pascal, French philosopher. source
- Eckhart Tolle, German-Canadian spiritualist. source
- Rene Descartes, French philosopher. source
- Thomas Aquinas, Italian priest and theologian. source
INTPs are not common in the athletic field, since they prefer intellectual activities, but some INTPs do use their minds to aid them in competition.
- Dikembe Mutombo, Congolese center. source
- Art Monk, U.S. wide receiver. source
- Cathy Freeman, Australian sprinter. source
POLITICIANS & WORLD LEADERS
Some INTPs apply their analytical abilities to the problems of politics.
- Abraham Lincoln, U.S. President. source
- James Madison, U.S. President. source
- John Quincy Adams, U.S. President. source
- John Tyler, U.S. President. source
- Gerald Ford, U.S. President. source
- Alan Greenspan, U.S. Federal Reserve chairman. source
- George Soros, Hungarian-American hedge fund manager and political activist. source
- Edward Snowden, U.S. whistleblower. source
INTPs are also attracted to writing, another intellectual pursuit.
- Harper Lee, U.S. novelist. source
- John le Carre, English novelist. source
- Stanley Crouch, U.S. poet and jazz musician. source
- Thucydides, Greek historian. source
- Randall Munroe, U.S. cartoonist. source
- Robert A. Heinlein, U.S. author. source
INTP musicians are not pack-followers. They’re not afraid to experiment, innovate, and take risks.
- Liam Gallagher, English singer. source
- Henry Mancini, U.S. composer. source
- Neil Peart, Canadian drummer. source
- Mark Mothersbaugh, U.S. musician. source
- Glenn Gould, Canadian pianist. source
- Bob Moog, U.S. inventor of the Moog synthesizer. source
- Aphex Twin, Irish electronic musician. source
- M.I.A., English hip-hop artist. source
Many of the biggest names in Silicon Valley innovation today are INTPs.
ARTISTS & ENTERTAINERS
Being logical doesn’t mean INTPs can’t also be witty and amusing — or intense and dramatic.
- Tina Fey, U.S. actress. source
- Dustin Hoffman, U.S. actor. source
- Sigourney Weaver, U.S. actress. source
- Geoffrey Rush, Australian actor. source
- Gabriel Byrne, Irish actor. source
- Rick Moranis, Canadian actor and screenwriter. source
- John Cusack, U.S. actor. source
- Bob Newhart, U.S. comedian and actor. source
- Gregory Peck, U.S. actor. source
- Andy Richter, U.S. comedian. source
- Elliot Page (formerly Ellen Page), Canadian actress. source
- Amy Smart, U.S. actress. source
- David Cronenberg, U.S. director. source
- Kate Moss, English model. source
- Ben Stein, U.S. economist, television pundit, and actor. source
- Diane Lane, U.S. actress. source
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, U.S. actresses and designers. source
- Asia Carrera, U.S. actress. source
- Kristen Stewart, U.S. actress. source
- Jesse Eisenberg, U.S. actor. source
Finally, here are some people from the worlds of fiction who display INTP characteristics.
- Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. source
- Gandalf from The Lord of the Rings. source
- Death from Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books. source
- Hermione Granger from Harry Potter. source
- Bruce Banner, alter-ego of the Incredible Hulk. source
- Tom Branson from Downton Abbey. source
- Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park. source
- Violet Baudelaire from the A Series of Unfortunate Events books. source
- Yoda from Star Wars. source
- Velma Dinkley from Scooby-Doo. source
- Eugene Porter from The Walking Dead. source
- Neo from The Matrix. source
- Maester Luwin from Game of Thrones. source
- The 9th Doctor from Doctor Who. source
- Haymitch Abernathy from The Hunger Games. source
- Dr. Bunsen Honeydew from The Muppets. source
- Dr. Gero from Dragonball Z. source
- Brian Johnson from The Breakfast Club. source
- George McFly from Back to the Future. source