ESFJ (extroverted sensing feeling judging) is one of the sixteen personality types of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) test. ESFJs are one of the more common types, making up about 12% of the population.
ESFJs are everyone’s friend. They are consensus builders and conflict defusers who enjoy helping social situations flow smoothly. They may not be the “life of the party,” but they’re the ones who make sure everyone is having a good time. Because they’re so easy to get along with, ESFJs tend to have large circles of friends.
ESFJs are traditionalists and believe in the authority of groups. They love stability and dislike conflict, so they can sometimes end up dismissing minority opinions in the name of achieving consensus. This can lead them to be controlling and intolerant. Some ESFJs also focus too much on making everyone happy at their own expense. But most ESFJs bring harmony to everyone around them.
Here are some celebrities who fit the ESFJ type.
ACTORS & ENTERTAINERS
ESFJ actors are U.S.ually known as great to work with and rarely develop “superstar” attitudes.
- Hugh Jackman, Australian actor. source
- Eva Longoria, U.S. actress. source
- Danny Glover, U.S. actor. source
- Rachel McAdams, Canadian actress. source
- Jennifer Garner, U.S. actress. source
- Chris Farley, U.S. actor. source
- Mary Tyler Moore, U.S. actress. source
- Penelope Cruz, Spanish actress and model. source
- Woody Harrelson, U.S. actor. source
- Jack Benny, U.S. comedian and actor. source
- Alyson Hannigan, U.S. actress. source
- Jason Segel, U.S. actor. source
- Dianna Agron, U.S. actress. source
- Sally Struthers, U.S. actress. source
- Tyra Banks, U.S. supermodel and television host. source
- Michael Palin, English comedian and actor. source
- Desi Arnaz, Cuban actor and bandleader. source
- Steve Harvey, U.S. comedian and game show host. source
- Don Knotts, U.S. actor. source
- Sarah Jessica Parker, U.S. actress. source
- Dick Clark, U.S. radio and television host. source
- Vanessa Hudgens, U.S. actress and singer. source
- Evan Rachel Wood, U.S. actress. source
- Martha Stewart, U.S. designer and television personality. source
- Sally Field, U.S. actress. source
- Jessica Biel, U.S. actress. source
- Julie Walters, English actress. source
With their love of structure and clarity, ESFJs work well as members of corporate organizations.
- Sam Walton, U.S. founder of Wal-Mart. source
- Andrew Carnegie, Scottish industrialist and philanthropist. source
- Ray Kroc, U.S. founder of McDonald’s. source
ESFJs are not natural competitors, but they are good at getting a team to come together and make great coaches.
- Terry Bradshaw, U.S. quarterback and broadcaster. source
- Steve Spurrier, U.S. college football coach. source
- Rasheed Wallace, U.S. power forward. source
- Nancy Kerrigan, U.S. figure skater. source
- Joe Gibbs, U.S. football coach. source
- Elvis Stojko, Canadian figure skater. source
ESFJ musicians are warm, outgoing, and devoted to their fans.
- Jennifer Lopez, U.S. singer and actress. source
- Elton John, English pianist and singer. source
- Diana Ross, U.S. singer. source
- Tina Turner, U.S. singer and dancer. source
- Mariah Carey, U.S. singer. source
- Alicia Keys, U.S. pianist and singer. source
- Whitney Houston, U.S. singer. source
- Loretta Lynn, U.S. singer. source
- Sammy Davis Jr., U.S. singer and actor. source
- Randy Jackson, U.S. musician and television personality. source
- Mary J. Blige, U.S. singer. source
- Geri Halliwell, English singer. source
- Clay Aiken, U.S. singer. source
- Reba McEntire, U.S. singer. source
- Ariana Grande, U.S. singer.
- Shania Twain, U.S. singer. source
- Victoria Beckham, English singer and fashion designer. source
- Celine Dion, Canadian singer. source
- Ed Sheeran, English singer-songwriter. source
POLITICIANS & WORLD LEADERS
Although they lack the ambition of some personality types, ESFJ peacemakers make excellent politicians.
- William McKinley, U.S. President. source
- John Boehner, U.S. Speaker of the House. source
- Prince William of Great Britain. source
- Bishop Desmond Tutu, South African social rights activist. source
- John Connally, U.S. Governor of Texas. source
ESFJs are likable and trustworthy, important qualities for a journalist or interviewer.
- Larry King, U.S. talk show host. source
- Barbara Walters, U.S. television interviewer. source
- Chris Wallace, U.S. television anchor. source
- Lesley Stahl, U.S. television journalist. source
Finally, here are some characters from the worlds of television, books, and movies who could be ESFJs.
- Rocky Balboa from the Rocky movies. source
- Joy from Inside Out. source
- Bernadette from The Big Bang Theory. source
- Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz. source
- Leslie Knope from Parks & Recreation. source
- Ned Flanders from The Simpsons. source
- Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy from Star Trek. source
- Sookie Stackhouse from True Blood. source
- Steven from Steven Universe. source
- Wendy from Peter Pan. source
- Lily from How I Met Your Mother. source
- Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit. source
- Rose Tyler from Doctor Who. source
- Lady Grantham from Downton Abbey. source
- Sansa Stark from Game of Thrones. source
- Lily Potter from Harry Potter. source
- Primrose Everdeen from The Hunger Games. source
- Jar Jar Binks from Star Wars. source
- Beth Greene from The Walking Dead. source
- Vdel from Dragonball Z. source